2017 SPEEDO SECTIONALS – ITHACA
- March 30 – April 2, 2017
- Ithaca, NY
- Live results: Meet Mobile
- Course: SCY
Auburn alum Drew Modrov won a pair of titles for the Hauppauge Athletic Association on Day 3 of the Sectional meet in Ithaca, NY.
Modrov went 20.05 to win the 50 free early in the night. He came back to go 48.84 in topping a tight 100 fly field later on for the double. That makes three wins for Modrov this week. He won the 200 free last night and finished second in the 100 fly.
Badger’s Carly Cummings and Solo Aquatics’ Matthew Yish each added wins after taking events Friday. Cummings won the 200 breaststroke in 2:12.18, a massive drop of 3.7 seconds from her previous best. Meanwhile Yish won the 200 fly in 1:48.26, also a drop of more than a second from his former lifetime-best.
15-year-old speedster Katherine Douglass won the 50 free by eight tenths of a second, blasting a 22.24. That’s two tenths off her own lifetime-best of 22.04, a time that stands tied as the 15-16 National Age Group record. Douglass is tied with Olympic champ Simone Manuel for that mark.
Other event winners:
- A pair of Crimson Aquatics teammates won titles. Anna Feng took the girls 200 fly. The 16-year-old was 1:59.94 to hold off Asphalt Green’s Isabel Gormley.
- Her teammate Calvin Yang went 1:58.10 to win the boys 200 breaststroke.
- Gormley would go on to win the 500 freestyle in 4:50.05.
- Badger’s Andrew Babyak went 4:27.30 to take the 500 free title.
- Central Jersey’s Caroline Gmelich won the 100 back in 54.18.