Reported by Lauren Neidigh.
WOMEN’S 200 BREAST
- NCAA record: Lilly King (2016)- 2:03.59
- American record: Lilly King (2016)- 2:03.59
- U.S. Open record: Lilly King (2016)- 2:03.59
- Championship Record: Lilly King (2016)- 2:03.59
- 2016 NCAA Champion: Lilly King (Indiana)- 2:03.59
- Lilly King (Indiana)- 2:03.19
- Kierra Smith (Minnesota)- 2:03.55
- Emily Escobedo (UMBC)- 2:05.20
Indiana’s Lilly King charged to the early lead in 58.32 and held on for the gold in a new American Record time of 2:03.19. Minnesota’s Kierra Smith came home hard with a 1:03.76 on the back half, taking 2nd in 2:03.55 as she also cleared the former NCAA Record.
UMBC’s Emily Escobedo and Texas A&M’s Sydney Pickrem battled down the stretch, but it was Escobedo who got her hands on the wall a nail faster to take 4th in 2:05.20 to Pickrem’s 2:05.23. NC State’s Kayla Brumbaum (2:05.55) and Texas’ Madisyn Cox (2:05.77) each broke 2:06 for the first time to take 5th and 6th respectively.