Location: 1 Y Drive, Grand Haven, MI, USA
The Swim Team Head Coach is responsible for the supervision and direction of a safe, positive and organized
competitive swimming program in accordance with the Tri-Cities Family YMCA, YMCA of the USA and USA
swimming organization, which will support youth development in spirit, mind and body, strengthen family support
and encourage social responsibility.
1. Provide excellent member service
2. Supervise, monitor and mentor assistant coaches
3. Maintain positive communications between YMCA, coaches, and Swim Team Parents and collaborative
4. Design and deliver practice sessions that teach competitive swimming stroke skills and train swimmers in
preparation for competition
5. Create a positive program environment with encouragement, goal setting and positive reinforcement
6. Support in all development of the swim team program while providing a program that is culturally balanced
and fits the needs of the Tri-Cities community.
7. Maintain rosters and attendance records for all age groups within the program
8. Evaluate team members and record progress
9. Ensure safety of all participants
10. Maintain swim team equipment
11. Advise supervisor of equipment needs or hazards
12. Complete accident/incident reports as necessary
13. Assist with marketing of the swim team program including printed materials and social media
14. Present a professional image
15. Dress appropriately with coaches shirt and name tag while on duty
16. Attend YMCA, USA and Swim Team program meetings/trainings as assigned
17. Attend and help facilitate parent meetings, competitions and team activities
18. Work cooperatively with other YMCA and program staff as well as collaborative partners
19. Know, support and enforce Tri-Cities Family YMCA program policies
20. Assist the aquatic leadership with other duties as assigned for the organization and delivery of the program
21. Work with Aquatics Director regarding swim schedules as well as coordinate assistant coach schedules
Tri-Cities Family YMA – Swim Team Head Coach
The Y: We’re for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill
community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds
rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in
challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to
assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces
new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience.
Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and
procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a highvalue
experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change,
and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and
how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses
best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Minimum age of 21.
2. Incumbent should have a minimum of three years of competitive swimming coaching and/or instructional
3. Must be knowledgeable in a variety of techniques; be flexible, patient, enthusiastic and well organized
4. Ability to complete certifications in CPR, First Aid, Lifeguarding, ASCA Level 1, Coaches Safety Training for
Swim Coaches as well as Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming & Diving within six months of employment.
5. YMCA Swim Official 1 and 2 within six months of employment
6. Must be current with all certification requirements through USA Swimming
PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS:
Physical Requirements: Maintain the physical requirements necessary to maintain safety certifications. Must
be able to stand or sit on the pool deck for up to four hours. Must be able to
observe participants and communicate clearly.
Mental Requirements: Must be able to think in the abstract, solve problems, make decisions, instruct,
evaluate and remember. Must be able to communicate clearly with both children
How to Apply
Email Cheri Krawczyk
1 Y Drive