You are the “Y”.
We’re more than a pool – the mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through fitness and healthy living, academic readiness, character development and violence prevention. Our 20 membership centers across the city and suburbs, 5 camps, early learning, school-aged and other programs provide everyone with a safe place to swim, learn, play and grow.
For over 135 years, the YMCA has been a pioneer and set the standard for aquatics and quality swim instruction. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our Swim Team Coaches to continue this legacy and contribute to the health and wellness of our children, families and communities.
Job Summary and Key Accountabilities:
Swim Team Coach is responsible for promoting and developing the YMCA swim team by facilitating the growth and improvement of swim team participants and creating a positive experience for participants and their families. This includes coordinating with the Head Coach to develop and implement practices, engaging participants and families to meet their needs, preparing for meets and other special events and ensuring the safety of participants.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Coaches, trains and mentors swimmers to foster development, maximize swimming performance, and teach appropriate swimming techniques.
- Leads swim team practices developed by Head Coach and assists Head Coach with design of training programs. Engages swimmers and parents to cultivate collaborative relationships. Modifies and customizes workouts to match swimmer skill levels. Provides feedback to swimmers and parents to facilitate improvement, refine abilities and prevent injury.
- Captures and records swimming times to track progress and determine meet eligibility
Meet Preparation and Execution
- Stays abreast of meet rules and guidelines to ensure compliance with standards
- Assists with the submission of meet entries
- Assists with the coordination of suits and uniforms
- Supervises swim team members at meets and other team functions
- Cooperates with swim team volunteers, officials, scorekeepers and timers
- Ensures the physical and emotional health and safety of swimmers by being safety conscious, following all established YMCA standards and critically evaluating situations for potential risks.
- Ensures compliance with established rules and regulations to ensure safety. Monitors swimmers and the pool and provides corrective coaching and intervention as necessary.
Continued Education & Training
- Actively participates in obtaining further water safety certifications.
- Attends all in-service trainings and staff meetings as scheduled by supervisor or center leadership team.
- Maintains job-related certifications and documents completion of certifications in the Human Resources Information System
Child Abuse Prevention:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations. Appropriate training and development will be provided to YMCA team members based on your role and responsibilities.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Current YMCA or American Red Cross certification as well as current First Aid, AED, CPR and Oxygen Administration certifications or must successfully complete the YMCA’s Aquatics Academy training program resulting in certification.
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200 lb. person and meet other physical requirements required for job certification.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aid effectively.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team competencies in previous experience or practice
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. Employment is subject to a background check.
How to Apply