Applications due 08/29/14
The YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties in Fargo, ND is looking for a Head Swim Team Coach for their YMCA Club Team.
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, this position is responsible for directing all aspects of the Swim Team to include leadership, instruction and motivation for the students. This position will also continue to explore ways to grow and develop the Swim Team.
Swim Team Assistant Coach
Required Education, Certifications, Experience:
1. At least 18 years old
2. High School Diploma or GED
3. 2 years of directly related experience
4. Safety Training for Swim Coaches
5. CPR Certification for Adult, Child, and Infant
6. First Aid Certification
Required Within a Specific Time Frame:
1. Within 3 months of hire: Lifeguard Certification
2. Within 1 year of hire: Listen First training
Other Important Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to coach, manage and direct a competitive swim program
2. Positive, effective, calm and professional communication – verbally and written – with staff, members, children and parents – tailoring the communication style to the appropriate audience
3. The ability to work effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions
4. Excellent attention to detail
5. Proficient use of computers with working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
YMCA Competencies – Team Leader:
1. Mission Advancement:
• Models and teaches the Y’s values
• Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to improving lives
• Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition
• Cultivates relationships to support fundraising
• Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives
• Builds relationships to create small communities
• Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict
• Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience
• Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance, and support
3. Operational Effectiveness:
• Provides others with frameworks for making decisions
• Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities
• Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team
• Effectively creates and manages budgets
• Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress
4. Personal Growth:
• Shares new insights
• Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change
• Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance
• Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well
• Uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology
Position Specific Competencies:
1. Directs hands-on development and supervision of the swim team and all of its programs
2. Schedules daily practice sessions using available pool times at the YMCA, Fargo South, Davies and Fargo North High Schools, Island Park Pool and other pools as available
3. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations
4. Develops daily practice sessions including dry-land training, stretching, and swim training for all skill levels
5. Directs daily practice sessions using assistant coaches as necessary
6. Coordinates swimmers and families through national meet travel, entries, etc.
7. Prepares meet entries and sends to appropriate meet managers
8. Coordinates swim team ads and promotions with the Marketing Director and Member Services Director
9. Meets with Swim Team Assistant Coaches prior to each season to discuss the season plan
10. Maintains Swim Team Assistant Coach’s certification records
1. Interviews, hires and trains new staff
2. Reviews time clock punches of staff for accuracy and submits reports to payroll by deadline
3. Provides comprehensive Annual Performance Reviews to staff by deadline
4. Provides feedback and performance improvement guidelines to staff as needed
5. Coordinates regular staff meetings with staff
6. Has positive, open communication with staff and serves as a resource to them
7. Assures required licensures of staff are up to date as required
8. Completes payroll forms for new hires, pay increases, terminations etc accurately and timely
9. Develops and implements uniform staff training and development for staff
10. Assures the coordination and maintenance of staff schedules
1. Works appropriate hours to get work completed accurately and timely
2. Attends mandatory departmental meetings and training sessions as required
3. Maintains a neat and clean work area, free of hazards
4. Follows YMCA policies and departmental procedures
5. Wears name tag at all times
6. Other duties upon request by immediate supervisor
Category 2: This position occasionally performs duties that result in exposure to “Fluids at Risk for Transmission” or this person may render some medical assistance as part of their position in an emergency on limited occasions. Bloodborne Pathogens training is required but the Hepatitis B vaccination will not be offered.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions, provided it does not impose an “undue hardship” on the employer.
• 67-100% of Shift: Stand and Walk; Squat: Twist; Seeing; Speaking, Hearing, Understanding the English Language; Reading & Writing the English Language; Exposure to excessive noise or vibration; Exposure to extreme temperature or humidity; Exposure to dust, gas, or fumes
• 34-66% of Shift: Bend; Drive a vehicle; Keyboard and Mouse use; Lifting or Carrying up to 20 lbs
• 6-33% of Shift: Sit in a chair; Kneel; Swimming; Light grasping; Pushing or Pulling up to 100 lbs; Lifting or Carrying 21 to 50 lbs;
• 1-5% of Shift: Sit on the floor/ground; Reach above head; Forceful grasping; Fine dexterity; Lifting or Carrying 51 to 100 lbs; Lifting overhead up to 100 lbs; Working with chemical, explosive or burn hazards
The YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties conducts a pre-employment drug test and criminal background checks on all employees. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About FM Gator Swim Team
The FM Gators Swim Team is proud to offer a variety of programming to serve athletes of all levels. We offer introductory programs for ages 5 and up, competitive swimming and diving, adult training programs and one-on-one instruction.
The FM Gators Swim Team’s mission is to develop athletes who value and demonstrate sportsmanship, self-discipline, physical fitness and integrity. We strive for each athlete to reach their maximum potential in and out of the water!
The FM Gators also honor the mission of the YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties to enhance the Spirit, Mind and Body of all persons through quality leadership, programs, services and facilities.
We also strive to instill the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Health.
How to Apply