Applications due 09/30/14
New Canaan Community YMCA seeks Associate Competitive Swimming Director/Head Age Group Coach. This is a great opportunity for the right person to join a dynamic and energetic coaching staff and consistently ranked top swim team program in the country. The right person must be passionate, knowledgeable, and energetic, must be ASCA certified minimum level 2 and have the ability to lead a top tier age group program. HOW TO APPLY:
Under the direction of the Competitive Swimming Director, oversees and directs the development of the age group program. This includes maintaining a high level of communication with fellow coaches and swim team parents, running daily practices, planning events (competitive and social), completing swim meet entries, seasonal scheduling, planning program capacities, supervision of the Eight and Under program, supervision of assistant coaches at the age group and 8 and Under levels, building supervision and budget responsibilities. The Assistant Competitive Swimming Director must be able to answer questions pertaining to all levels of the swim team and areas of the YMCA, assist with the operation of all home meets, as well as assist the Competitive Swimming Director in office administration areas related to the swim team as needed. The Associate Competitive Swimming Director/Head Age Group Coach will also assist with the senior and national team practices and administration.
Previous competitive coaching experience/participation is strongly recommended, must be ASCA certified at a minimum of level 2, as well as strong administrative, organizational, and computer skills. Knowledge of Hy-Tek and Team Unify swimming software is preferred. Certifications in the following safety areas: CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED, Lifeguard Training or Safety Training for the Swim Coaches, and First Aid. Other certifications: YMCA Principles of Competitive Swimming and Diving and USA Swimming Foundations of Coaching. Must successfully complete and pass a USA swimming background check.
• Organize and run practices for the Age Group levels.
• Attend weekly coaches meetings.
• Create and execute curriculum and season plan for all age group programming. Oversee developmental coach in creating and implementing a seasonal plan for 8 and Under program and Pre-teams.
• Report to the Competitive Swimming Director on all matters relating to the Age Group and 8 and Under levels. (i.e. assistant coaches, practice schedules, team development, etc.)
• Attend all meets schedule for the Age Group level teams, as well as meets assigned by the Competitive Swimming Director.
• Assist Competitive Swimming Director with senior level practices when needed.
• Reply to phone messages and e-mails in a timely manner (next day or ASAP).
• Develop and assist with the distribution of weekly news updates.
• Assist in website development (photos, meet announcements, team information, etc.)
• Keep all required certifications up to date (CPR, Coaches Safety Training, and First Aid).
• Correspond daily and weekly on matters pertaining swim team.
• Continue personal education related to the sport of swimming.
• Meet with the CSD quarterly to plan for development and monitor progress.
• Attend the YMCA National Championships (Short and Long Course), as well as any other team travel event that requires an extended overnight stay.
• Assist Competitive Swimming Director in developing and maintaining Age Group team budget areas.
• Interact with and assign duties to admin support staff on a regular basis.
• Assist in the supervision and evaluation of part-time coaches.
• Attend all professional staff meetings to keep informed of all activities at the YMCA. Perform weekend “On Call” duty and “Opening/Closing” responsibilities, as determined by procedures.
• Assist in all YMCA activities and special events, as needed, to ensure their success.
• Provide timely annual staff evaluations.
• Perform other duties as designated by the supervisor.
• Job Description may be changed at any time by supervisor.
EFFECT ON END RESULT
Assist in organizing, promoting, and developing an efficient and effective swim team program to encourage enjoyable youth participation and retention.
Full time Benefits include Medical/Dental; YMCA 12% retirement; 22 vacation days; 8 sick days; 2 personal days; long term disability; life insurance and full YMCA membership and discounts. No relocation reimbursement. Salary Range $36,300-$45,300 commensurate with experience.
Questions? Please contact Michael Ferraro, Competitive Swimming Director, [email protected] or call 203-966-4528, Ext 137.
About New Canaan Community YMCA
The Caiman Swim program consists of 200 plus kids in the community of New Canaan, Connecticut and is located just 40 minutes from New York City.
The New Canaan YMCA is a 501(c)(c3) not-for-profit organization whose mission is to enrich all people in spirit, mind, and body. Our YMCA is committed to providing programs and services that promote youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility among our members and the community.
YMCA programs and services continually respond to the needs of the unique communities they serve. In addition to wellness and aquatic programs, our Y provides full-day and afterschool childcare to working families, nursery school, summer camp, recreational sports programs, recreational and leadership programs to teens, and specialized and inclusive programs to the special needs community.
How to Apply
Email resume to [email protected]
phone: 203-966-4528, Ext 137.