Applications due 12/31/14
Assist head coach with direction of women’s swim program at San Diego State University through a variety of responsibilities that include but are not limited to coaching, recruiting, academic advising, counseling, and leadership development.
• Assist head coach with organizing and informing support staff (administrative, strength and conditioning, athletic training, equipment staff, etc.) of program’s needs and operations.
• Assist head coach with developing new ideas and philosophies within the program to keep up to date with current trends and developments within the collegiate and intercollegiate swimming landscape.
• Assist head coach by serving as liaison between student-athletes and support staff.
• Assist head coach, in coordination with Athletics Business Office, with purchase orders, travel expenses, expense reports, and any other responsibilities involving business affairs.
• Assist head coach, in coordination with Equipment staff, with selecting and submitting uniform and equipment requests for team and staff.
• Assist head coach, in coordination with Event Management staff, with organizing and fulfilling operations of home contests as well as practices and events.
• Assist head coach, in coordination with Strength and Conditioning staff, with organizing and implementing the needs of team’s weight room activities.
• Assist head coach, in coordination with Athletic Medicine staff, regarding injuries, rehabilitation, surgeries, and other medical concerns within the program.
• Assist head coach with all internal and external communication by answering and returning incoming phone calls, e-mails, and correspondence.
• Assist head coach with organizing, coordinating, and supervising community service projects, local clinics, and booster and alumni events.
• Assist head coach with fund raising activities, corporate and private sponsorship, as well as marketing of the program.
• Responsible for attending department meetings such as All-Staff and Compliance.
• Travel Coordinator: Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, organizing and booking of flights, transportation, hotels, meals, per diem, practice times, recruiting trips, prospect visits, etc.
• For post-season competition, coordinate travel, housing, practices, meals, itineraries, and all team activities.
• Banquet Coordinator: Responsible for organization and implementation of annual end-of-the-season banquet. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, informing all possible participants, reserving facility, creating food menu, collecting monies, supervising creation of banquet program, creating highlight film, etc.
• Other duties as assigned by head coach.
• Recruiting Coordinator: Assist the head coach in all aspects of recruiting in effort to bring the best prospects to San Diego State University, thus creating a nationally competitive team that can win conference championships as well as participate in the post season with the goal of a National Championship(s).
• Assist head coach with annual and future recruiting strategies and needs, while offering assistance with scholarship allocation plan to execute strategy.
• Assist head coach with all recruiting documentation needs, such as official visits forms, transcript collection, GIA paperwork, etc. Responsible for all organization and implementation of recruiting trips and visits. Plan appropriate activities during official visits.
• Assist head coach with compilation of necessary file and technology system for efficient and organized manner of handling recruitment of prospects.
• Must possess a cooperative effort in working with all recruiting personnel.
• Must pass NCAA Division I Recruiting Exam to stay current and educated on NCAA rules and regulations.
• Responsible for assessment of prospective student-athletes, which includes evaluating documents, calling informed contacts of student-athlete, traveling to watch the prospects play, and watching recruiting videos.
• Initiate and maintain communication with prospective student-athletes in line with NCAA and conference regulations.
• Establish relationships with local programs, programs in Southern California, across the country, and with overseas contacts and recruiting organizations.
• Recruited student-athletes earn conference, regional, and/or national honors.
• Academic Coordinator: Assist in responsibility for the overall academic progress and academic success of the team.
• Cooperate with Academic Support Services Staff for course registration times, mentoring and tutoring programs, and study hall dissemination.
• Committed to proper citizenship of student-athletes.
• Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the monitoring of class attendance, study hall hours, student-athlete notebooks, homework assignments, and exams to ensure academic success.
• Prepare student-athletes physically, mentally, and emotionally to be able to compete at the national level, while aspiring toward Mountain West Conference Championships and post-season competition/championships.
• Assist head coach with organizing and administering appropriate training workouts for off-season, pre-season, competitive season (fall), post-season, and non-competitive season (spring) needs.
• Work with student-athletes in one-on-one training environments.
• Assist head coach in organizing, supervising, coordinating, and implementing past and current coaching techniques, strategies, and practices.
• Assist head coach with team preparation through scouting upcoming opponents and utilizing opponent film to organize and implement necessary game plans.
• Serve as video coordinator. Videotape all strokes, starts, and turns with each individual swimmer. Provide technical feedback throughout the season after individual video sessions. Monitor technical improvements through stroke-specific drills and dialogue with each swimmer.
• Work with student-athletes utilizing game footage.
LEADERSHIP, TEAM DEVELOPMENT, AND COMPLIANCE
• Assist head coach with the student-athlete’s education and execution of the program’s Code of Conduct.
• Deal with discipline problems in a professional manner.
• Follow NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations; ensure student- athletes follow NCAA, conference, and university rules and regulations.
• Cooperate and work with the compliance staff.
• Attend educational seminars on compliance and academic affairs.
• Complete required forms in a timely manner.
• Actively involved in departmental compliance.
About San Diego State University
San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor’s degrees in 91 areas, master’s degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU’s approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
How to Apply