- October 14, 2017
- Terre Haute, Indiana
- Meet Stats
- Indiana State 133, Xavier 103
- Indiana State 170, Olivet-Nazarene 108
- Xavier 142, Olivet-Nazarene 112
Courtesy of Indiana State Athletics
The Indiana State Sycamores defeated Xavier and Olivet-Nazarene today (Oct. 14) in their first home meet of the season. ISU defeated Xavier 133 to 103 and Olivet-Nazarene 170 to 108.
“This program took some big steps forward today. Competing in back to back dual meets is on purpose and that’s a way for us to grow and get more confident in our training and the skills we’re developing. We came out harder today than we have all season and made major steps forward for this program,” said head coach Matt Leach.
This meet was a large turnaround for ISU as they fell by a large margin to Xavier only two weeks ago. Indiana State came out quick right from the start earning multiple personal bests and even setting a couple of school records throughout the day.
Indiana State was ready to compete right from the start and came out strong with a second place finish in the 200 medley relay. The team of Kendall Hansen, Megan Schade, Jacquie Price and Alex Malmborg posted a time of 1:48.22 to start the day.
The following event, the 1000 yard freestyle, proved to be huge for the Sycamores. Just two weeks ago Xavier won all distance events, but today ISU flipped the results.
Cierra Campbell and Elisabeth Peskin absolutely dominated the pool. Campbell placed first with a 10:44.08 and Peskin swam strong as well.
“Our distance group did fantastic today and it was great swimming from event to event to event. One of the biggest step for me is not just the times, it’s the energy we brought today. We have been working on our team culture from day one and it clicked today,” said Leach.
Following this Indiana State continued to rattle off more notable performances.
Martina Marks finished first in the 200 freestyle with a 1:54.99, then Kendall Hansen rattled off a win and an ISU school record in the 100 yard backstroke with a 57.67.
Jacquie Price added a pulled away with a first place finish in the 200 butterfly with a 2:08.23, followed by Alex Malmborg finishing second in the 50 freestyle.
Blanca Saez-Illobre posted a good win in the 200 breastroke with a 2:22.20 and later another first place finish in the 200 IM.
The Sycamores then ended the day with a first place finish in the 400 freestyle relay with a 3:35.97.
Laura Fulton set two new school records in both the one meter and three meter dives while Mckenzie Plummer competed in the three meter dive for the first time in her career.
“Laura earned two records and Mckenzie earned a personal best in the one meter and competed in the three meter for the first time today. I couldn’t be more proud of her. When we first started she struggled on the one meter and now she has conquered that and can also compete in the three meter. Laura did a great job again and I believe she will continue to score higher as the season goes on,” said diving coach Fengting Chen.
The Sycamores will be back in action on Oct. 27 as they face off with Bellarmine and Rose-Hulman here in Terre Haute, Ind. at 6 p.m.
Courtesy of Olivet Nazarene Athletics
Andrea Vega (JR/Barrington, Ill.)’s lone first place finish wasn’t enough to lift the Olivet Nazarene University women’s swim team over Indiana State University and Xavier University (Ohio), both NCAA Division I programs. The Tigers fell 170-108 to the Sycamores and 142-112 to the Musketeers.
Top Three Finishes:
- 200 Medley Relay – 3rd place (1:49.22) – Deirdre Gerke (SR/South Lyons, Mich.), Andrea Vega, Kara DeLong (SR), Jordan Enders (FR/Ada, Mich.)
- Karla Islas (FR/Naucalpan, Mexico), 1000 Freestyle – 2nd place (10:49.25)
- Kathleen Kerr, 1000 Freestyle – 3rd place (10:56.86)
- Karla Islas, 200 Freestyle – 3rd place (2:02.45)
- Kara DeLong, 100 Backstroke – 3rd place (1:02.79)
- Andrea Vega, 100 Breaststroke – 1st place (1:04.36)
- Allison Zalinski (SR/West Bloomington, Mich.), 200 Butterfly – 3rd place (2:20.05)
- Jordan Enders, 50 Freestyle – 3rd place (25.18)
- Deirdre Gerke, 100 Freestyle – 3rd place (55.51)
- Kara DeLong, 200 Backstroke – 3rd place (2:14.89)
- Andrea Vega, 200 Breaststroke – 2nd place (2:22.62)
The Tigers will hit the pool again on Saturday, Nov. 4 at Western Illinois University with Valparaiso University (Ind.). Events are scheduled to start at 2 p.m.
Courtesy of Xavier Athletics
In the first dual meet of the season, Xavier men’s and women’s swimming swept the defending NAIA champions on both the men’s and women’s side, Olivet Nazarene, at Indiana State. The Musketeer women fell to the host Sycamores, who only field a women’s team.
Combined, the Musketeers took first place in 19 events on the day.
- Xavier opened the meet by taking the top spot in the 200 medley relay, with Paxtyn Drew, Becca Titterton, Caroline Gaertner and Emily Conners touching the wall in 1:46.76.
- Conners picked up a pair of first place finishes in freestyle sprints, finishing the 50 free in 23.82 and the 100 free in 51.98.
- Caroline Gaertner took first in the 100 fly, touching the wall in 55.52.
- Emma Kauffeld took the top spot in the 500 free, finishing in 5:05.29.
- The Xavier women picked up the win over Olivet Nazarene and fell to Indiana State.
||WOMEN’S TOP FINISHES|
|200 Medley Relay||P. Drew, Titterton,
C. Gaertner, Conners
|1000 Free||Katie Kerr||10:56.86||4th|
|200 Free||Emma Kauffeld||1:55.18||2nd|
|100 Back||Paxtyn Drew||57.68||2nd|
|100 Breast||Samantha White||1:09.08||2nd|
|200 Fly||Annie Cummins||2:11.30||3rd|
|50 Free||Emily Conners||23.82||1st|
|100 Free||Emily Conners||51.98||1st|
|200 Back||Paxtyn Drew||2:06.54 2nd||2nd|
|200 Breast||Delaney Sprague||2:27.16||3rd|
|500 Free||Emma Kauffeld||5:05.29||1st|
|100 Fly||Caroline Gaertner||55.52||1st|
|200 IM||Alison Herman||2:09.97||3rd|
|400 Free Relay||M. Cummins, L. Gaertner,
Vozar, A. Cummins
- Xavier took the top spot in ever event on the men’s side.
- The Musketeer men opened the meet with a first place finish in the 200 medley relay for Alex Sironen, Matthew Dyer, Brandon Abboud and Sam Johanns touching the wall in 1:33.92.
- Dyer also collected three individual first place finishes, in the 100 breast, 200 breast and the 200 IM.
- Enrique Hernandez took the top spot in the 100 free and 200 free.
- Coomler completed the sweep of the freestyle sprints, taking the top spot in the 50 free with a personal best tie of 21.76.
- Alex Wolfred also collected a pair of wins, in the distance free events, winning the 500 free and 1000 free.
- Sironen touched the wall first in the 100 back, finishing in 51.93.
- Landon Clark‘s time of 1:56.16 in the 200 fly was good for the top spot.
- Chase Baldwin took first in the 200 back with a time of 1:53.82.
- Brandon Abboud finished the 100 fly in 51.76 to take first.
- Xavier took the win over Olivet Nazarene.
||MEN’S TOP FINISHES|
|200 Medley Relay||Sironen, Dyer,
|1000 Free||Alex Wolfred||9:52.06||1st|
|200 Free||Enrique Hernandez||1:44.76||1st|
|100 Back||Alex Sironen||51.93||1st|
|100 Breast||Matthew Dyer||57.54||1st|
|200 Fly||Landon Clark||1:56.16||1st|
|50 Free||Noah Coomler||21.76||1st|
|100 Free||Enrique Hernandez||47.18||1st|
|200 Back||Chase Baldwin||1:53.82||1st|
|200 Breast||Matthew Dyer||2:08.35||1st|
|500 Free||Alex Wolfred||4:47.01||1st|
|100 Fly||Brandon Abboud||51.76||1st|
|200 IM||Matthew Dyer||1:54.99||1st|
|400 Free Relay||Abboud, Hernandez,
- Xavier will host its sole home meet of the season on Thursday, Oct. 19 when the Musketeers host Cleveland State at the O’Connor Sports Center at 5 PM.
- The Musketeers head back out on the road on Saturday, Oct. 21 when XU heads to Bowling Green to face the Falcons, as well as Tiffin University, at 1 PM.