The Geramny Swimming Federation (DSV) has announced a team of 10 swimmers that will race in open water at the upcoming World Championships in Budapest. Ironically, that list is almost as big as their 14-swimmer roster for the pool races at the same event, which was dampened by Germany’s brutal qualifying standards for the event. There are 40 pool races, but only 7 in open water.
“The team is a nice mix of experienced and young open water swimmers. I am convinced that we will perform there as a strong team and also compete for medals and first places,”said DSV national open water swimming coach Stefan Lurz (Würzburg).
4 of Lurz’s own proteges from Würzburg are included in the roster, as are 3 from Madgeburg.
Germany is one of the legendary countries in open water swimming, and this year’s roster includes 8-time World Championship medalist Angela Maurer and defending 5k bronze medalist Finnia Wunram. Those two will represent the country in the premier event of the open water portion: the 10k.
The men’s side will have Christian Reichert and Rob Muffels swimming that 10k, and also racing as part of Germany’s 5K team. Germany has won the team race at each of the last two World Championships, and Reichert has been on both of those teams. Isabelle Haerle, who was on both of those teams with Reichert, is not on the 2017 squad.
Not racing open water is Florian Wellbrock, who was the German Champion in the 5km race. He instead will focus on his duties with the German pool team. Muffels also waived his right to the spot in the 5km race, leaivng Marcus Herwig and Ruwen Straub to fill those spots.
Since open water swimming was first brought to the World Championships in 1991, Germany has won more medals (35) than any other country, with Russia sitting 2nd at 30 and Italy 3rd with 24.
- Finnia Wunram (Magdeburg / 5km, 10km, mixed relay)
- Leonie Beck (Würzburg / 5km, mixed relay)
- Angela Maurer (Wiesbaden / 10km, 25km)
- Sarah Bosslet (Saarbrücken / 25km)
- Marcus Herwig (Magdeburg / 5km)
- Ruwen Straub (Würzburg / 5km)
- Rob Muffels (Magdeburg / 10km, mixed relay)
- Christian Reichert (Würzburg / Wiesbaden / 10km)
- Andreas Waschburger (Saarbrücken / 25km)
- Soren Meissner (Würzburg / 25km, mixed relay)
- Coaches: Stefan Lurz (Germany coach), Bernd Berkhahn (Magdeburg), Hannes Vitense (Saarbrücken)
- Doctor: Prof. Dr. Alexander Beck
- Physio: Martin Krebs