THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech swimming & diving program has signed four high school athletes to National Letters of Intent for the 2016-17 academic year, bringing the total for the 2016 signing class up to 22. All three swimming additions are natives of foreign countries, while the new diving signee is a native of Atlanta.
Sara al Khatib
• Hometown: Ridgefield, Conn.
• High School: Immaculate High School
• Club Team: Ridgefield Aquatic Club
• Main Strokes: Distance Free
• Competed at the 2013 World Junior Swimming Championships for her home country of Lebanon
Coach Hart: “We are looking forward to having Sara on the Flats in August. On her official visit, she instantly took to the team. She’ll be a strong contributor in our women’s distance program.”
Tamir Gonen Cohen
• Hometown: London, U.K.
• High School: Plymouth College
• Club Team: Plymouth Leader
• Main Strokes: 100 & 200 Fly
• Competed at the European Short Course Championships in Dec. 2015 in Israel
• Originally from Israel
Coach Hart: “We are absolutely thrilled that Tamir chose Georgia Tech. We’ve had so many great swimmers from Israel, so we’re very happy to continue that trend. She’ll make an instant impact in our fly events and relays.”
• Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.
• High School: Lakeside High School
• Club Team: Atlanta Dive Association
• Dives: 1-meter, 3-meter, Platform
• Finished 3rd in the 6A state meet in the 1-meter event
Coach Ames: “We are excited to have Jordyn join the team. She is an outstanding athlete, and I look forward to working with her.”
• Hometown: Sennwald, Switzerland
• Club Team: Swim Club Uster Wallisellen
• Main Strokes: 200 Fly, 200 & 400 IM
• Competed in the European Short Course Championships in December 2015
• Has qualified for the European Long Course in London, U.K., where he will have an opportunity to qualify for the Olympics
Coach Hart: “We are very excited to add Tim to our roster. Keeping the Switzerland connection going is important to us, as we’ve had some successful Swiss athletes come through our program in the past. We expect him to immediately contribute to our team in the fly and IM events.”
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTSwimDive) and Facebook (Georgia Tech Swimming & Diving) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.
Swimming news courtesy of Georgia Tech Swimming & Diving.