Kenyon vs. Xavier
- Oct. 26, 2019
- Gambier, Ohio
- Men: Kenyon 198-96
- Women: Kenyon 154-139
Courtesy: Xavier Athletics
GAMBIER, Ohio – The Kenyon College men’s swimming and diving team showed its depth while taking down NCAA Division I Xavier University on Saturday. The Lords had nine different individual-event winners and rolled to a 198-96 dual meet win against the Musketeers.
The only two-time, individual-event winner for Kenyon was senior Connor Rumpit. He pulled off the distance sweep by winning the 500-yard freestyle in a time of 4:36.90 and the 1,000-yard freestyle 9:34.02.
Junior David Fitch won the 100-yard butterfly in 50.07 and was a part of two Kenyon relay wins. Opening the meet, Fitch joined sophomore Luis Weekes, junior Marcus Hong and senior Tommy Weiss to win the 200-yard medley relay in 1:30.46. At the end of the meet, Fitch, Weiss and Hong teamed up with sophomore Joe Black to win the 400-yard freestyle relay in 3:05.89.
In between those two relays, Weekes, Black and Hong chalked up solo wins. Weekes took first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 57.23, Black was fastest in 100-yard freestyle, finishing with a time of 46.81, and Hong raced to a win in the 50-yard freestyle by clocking in at 21.02.
Other Kenyon individual-event winners included Mark Lang, who won the 200-yard freestyle (1:41.92) and Cheran De Silva, who took the 200-yard butterfly (1:54.36).
In diving competition, Kenyon made a clean sweep of the boards. Freshman Drew Albrecht posted 247.20 points to win the one-meter competition and Mason Fishell, also a freshman, won the three-meter event with a score of 300.00.
The Kenyon Ladies swimming and diving team chalked up seven event wins en route to a 154-139 dual-meet win against NCAA Division I Xavier University on Saturday afternoon at James A. Steen Aquatics Center.
Kenyon also tallied eight runner-up spots in the victory.
A host of experienced Ladies – Summer Otazu, Crile Hart, Makena Markert and Emmie Mirus – got things heading in the right direction on Saturday in the 200-yard medley relay. That quartet won the meet-opening event in 1:45.18.
After a pair of second-place finishes from Claire Murray and Ania Axas in the 1,000 freestyle and 200 free, respectively, Kenyon won again. Hart touched the wall first in 56.48 of the 100-yard backstroke. The Ladies’ third victory was delivered by sophomore Andrea Perttula. She completed the 100 breaststroke event in 1:06.53 while Market came in second (1:07.14).
A few events later, Myra Miller won the 1-meter board. Competing against two other Ladies, Miller tallied 152.10 points. She also was victorious on the 3-meter board with 181.80 points.
Kenyon’s final two wins were from Hart and Perttula. In the 200 back, Hart touched in 2:02.50 while Perttula completed the 200 breast in 2:25.81.
There were a few more quality performances from the Ladies. Axas was runner-up in the 200-yard butterfly while Mirus took second in the 50 free. Additionally, Murray secured another second-place finish in the 500 free while Otazu had the same placement in 200-yard individual medley. Finally, Alexandra White, Princess Vilan Ferguson-Nguyen, Hart and Mirus ended the meet with a runner-up spot in the 400 free relay.
The Lords and Ladies will return to competition next Friday when they host rival Denison University at 6 p.m.
Courtesy: Kenyon Athletics
GAMBIER, Ohio – Xavier swimming combined for 13 event wins in a dual meet at Kenyon College on Saturday afternoon. The Musketeers return to action next Saturday at Denison.
- Brooke Atkins, Kelly Harris, Taylor Hogan and Clare Bosse scored the top finish for the Musketeers in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:48.60.
- Emma Kauffeld picked up the first of two event wins in the 1000 free, finishing in 10:41.68. Kauffeld also took the top spot in the 500 free, winning with a time of 5:14.24.
- Clare Bosse collected an event win in the 200 free with a time of 1:56.12.
- Brooke Atkins led the Musketeers in both backstroke events, taking second in both the 100 back (57.67) and the 200 back (2:07.79)
- Alison Herman led Xavier in three events, including a win in the 200 IM (2:09.21), a second place finish in the 200 breast (2:26.03) and a third place finish in the 100 breast (1:07.37).
- Taylor Hogan swept the butterfly events, winning the 100 fly with a time of 56.90 and the 200 fly with a time of 2:04.71.
- Emily Conners swept the free sprints taking the 50 free with a time of 24.28 and the 100 free with a time of 53.08.
- Xavier closed out the meet with a win in the 400 free for Clare Bosse, Abigail Garner, Maureen Cummins and Emily Conners in the 400 free relay.
- Xavier fell narrowly 154-139, in a score that included two diving events in which the Musketeers did not compete.
- Xavier began the meet with a second place finish for Alex Sironen, Jon Bernard, Brandon Abboud and Christian Thomas in the 200 medley relay.
- Andrew Martin led Xavier in the distance free events, placing second in the 1000 free with a time of 9:37.74 and third in the 500 free with a time of 4:44.97
- Ben Quon placed second in the 200 free with a time of 1:43.19.
- Jon Bernard picked up the first of three event wins in the 100 back with a time of 50.94. Bernard also took the top spot in the 200 breast (2:04.98) and the 200 IM (1:53.26).
- Roark Lundal led Xavier in the 100 breast with a time of 58.90 to place third.
- Brandon Abboud led the Musketeers in both butterfly events, placing second in the 200 fly with a time of 1:54.56 and third in the 100 fly with a time of 1:53.26.
- Christian Thomas placed second in both of the free style sprints, with a time of 21.50 in the 50 free and 47.03 in the 100 free.
- Nick Mahoney used a time of 1:54.84 to win the 200 back.
Xavier closed out the meet with a third place finish for Christian Thomas, Jared Ritz, Ben Quon and Brandon Abboud in the 400 free relay.
- Xavier fell by a score of 198-96, a score that included two diving events in which the Musketeers did not compete.