Thanks to D’Artagnan Dias for contributing to this report.
The Corinthians continued to lead the team standings having another strong day with three more winners at the 2014 Maria Lenk Trophy in São Paulo, Brazil.
Team scores through four days:
- CORINTHIANS/ABDEM 1.717,50
- FIAT/MINAS 1.255,00
- PINHEIROS 980,00
- SESI-SP 636,00
- UNISANTA 594,50
All three of the athletes who won events for the team did not feel any ill effects of the cold weather posting times that put them in the top ten in the world rankings.
Men 200 fly:
- Leonardo De Deus (Corinthians) 1:56:21
- Luiz Altamir Melo (Flamengo) 1:59:27
- Matheus Isidro (Corinthians) 2:00:14
Leonardo De Deus won the event comfortably, leading the event from start to finish. De Deus, whose lifetime best is a 1:55.55 which he posted in 2011, was focused breaking the 1:56 barrier once again, but was just off posting a 1:56.21 which puts the Brazilian third in the world rankings. Luiz Altamir Melo who finished second in the race posted a lifetime best of 1:59.27, which puts him on the Youth Olympic Games team.
Women 200 fly:
- Katinka Hosszu (Corinthians) 2:08:22 CR
- Giovanna Diamante (SESI-SP) 2:15:63
- Gabriela Rocha (Corinthians) 2:15:81
World Champion Katinka Hosszu destroyed the competition in the women’s 200 butterfly winning the event by over seven seconds. Going into the event Hosszu ranked 10th in the world having posted a 2:08.47 at the Orlando Grand Prix, with her time of 2:08.22 she held onto her 10th place ranking. She also set a new championship mark.
Men 100 breast:
Felipe Franca da Silva (Corinthians) 59:91
João Gomes Júnior (Pinheiros) 1:00:40
Raphael Rodrigues (Pinheiros) 1:00:69
Winning the third event in a row for the Corinthians Felipe Franca da Silva took the men’s 100 breaststroke in a time of 59.91. Silva dipped under the one minute barrier for the first time since 2012 when he posted a lifetime best of 59.63. With his time Franca da Silva places fifth in the world rankings as well as qualifying for the Pan Pacific Championship team.
After posting a time of 1:00.40 to finish second in the event Joao Gomes Junior also qualified for the Pan Pacific Championships. World Championship bronze medalist Felipe Lima finished in fourth posting a time of 1:00.90.
In the B final 17 year old Andreas Mickosz recorded a personal best of 1:02.33, which should guarantee him a spot on the Youth Olympic Games team.
Women 100 breast:
- Julia Sebastian (UNISANTA) 1:09:17 Arg. Record
- Pamela Souza (Corinthians) 1:10:40
- Beatriz Travalon (Pinheiros) 1:10:94
Julia Sebastian had an impressive final 50 meters taking the 100 breaststroke in a time of 1:09.17. Sebastian once again set a new Argentinian record, breaking her own mark of 1:09.44.
Men 50 back:
- Guilherme Guido (Pinheiros) 25:41
- Fabio Santi (Pinheiros) 25:47
- Leonardo Guedes (SESI-PE) 25:60
Pinheiros’ teammates Guilherme Guido and Fabio Santi added to their teams point total as they continued to gain ground on Minas for the second position in the team standings. The two teammates had an incredible race with Guido having the stronger finish taking the race by six one-hundredths of a second.
Women 50 back:
- Etiene Medeiros (SESI-SP) 28:41
- Natália de Luccas (Corinthians) 29:21
- Natália Diniz (Pinheiros) 29:47
In the first three days of competition Etiene Medeiros has had a very strong competition posting personal bests in the 50 freestyle, 100 butterfly and 100 backstroke. On the fourth day of competition Medeiros took the women’s 50 backstroke in a time of 28.41. She was not happy with her time as she was expecting to set a new South American, but appeared to be effected by the poor weather conditions.
Men 800 free:
- Miguel Leite Valente (Minas) 8:01:41
- Juan Pereyra (Minas) 8:05:36
- Marcos Ferrari (Minas) 8:06:17
With Pinheiros having a strong evenings collecting top three placings in four of the first six events in an attempt to catch Minas, Minas teammates Miguel Leite Valente, Juan Pereyra and Marcos Ferrari responded by going one, two, three in the men’s 800 freestyle.
QUALIFYING TIMES FOR THE PAN PACIFIC 2014 – MARIA LENK TROPHY
- 200m M – Nicolas Oliveira – 1m47s17
- 200m M – John Luccas – 1m48s30
- 100m backstroke F-Etienne Medeiros – 1m00s77
- 100m backstroke M-Fabio Santi – 54s32
- 50m freestyle F-Graciele Herrman – 24s79
- 50m freestyle F – Alessandra Marchioro – 25s17
- M 50m Freestyle – Cesar Cielo – 21s39
- free 50m M – Bruno Fratus – 21s45
- chest 200m M – Thiago Simon – 2m11s99
- 100m butterfly F – Daynara Paula – 58s83
- 100m Butterfly M – Thiago Pereira – 52s37
- 400m medley M – Thiago Pereira – 4m15s45
- 400m medley M – Thiago Simon – 4m17s98
- Men’s 100 breaststroke – Felipe Franca da Silva – 59.91
- Men’s 100 breaststroke – Joao Gomes Junior – 1:00.40
PREQUAIFIED SWIMMERS FROM PRIOR MEETS
- Bruno Fratus, Pinheiros, 50 free 21:80
- Cesar Cielo, Minas, 50 free 21:92
- Leonardo de Deus, Corinthians, 200 back, 1:57:77
- Felipe Franca, Corinthians, 100 breast, 1:00:31
- Tales Cerdeira, Unisanta, 200 breast, 2:11:16
- Daynara Paula, SESI-SP, 100 Butterfly 58:35
- Leonardo De Deusd, Corinthians, 200 butterfly, 1 : 56:23
- Graciele Hermann, GNU, 50 free, 25:02
- Guilherme Guido, Pinheiros, 50 back 24:95
- Daniel Orzechowski, Pinheiros, 50 back, 25:40
- Etienne Medeiros, SESI-SP, 50 back 28:11
- Felipe Franca, Corinthians , 50 breast 27:03
- John Gomes Jr., Pine, 50 breast 27:40
- Carolina Bergamaschi, Mines, 50 breast 31:83
- Beatriz Travalon, Pinheiros, 50 breast 31:98
- Daynara Paula, SESI-SP, 50 Butterfly 26:67
- Nicholas Santos, Unisanta, 50 Butterfly 22:95
Brazilian Youth Olympic Games Team so far:
- Matheus Santana, Unisanta 100 free in 49:21 Open 939 points
- Andreas Mickosz, Corinthians, 200 breast 2:14:24 at Maria Lenk 924 points
- Altamir Luiz Melo, Flamengo 200 butterfly in 1:59:91 Open 915 points in 200 Free 1:50:16 Open 915 points
- Vitor Guaraldo, Pinheiros, 50 back, 25:66, 914 points
- Natália de Luccas, Corinthians, 100 backstroke in 1:01:50 Julio de Lamare 933 points
- Giovanna Dimante, SESI, 200 freestyle in 2:02:39 Carlos Campos Nephew, 907 points
- Viviane Jungblut, Union, 800 lkivre 8:50:27 at the Maria Lenk 903 points
- Gabriele Roncatto, Pines, 2:02:97 200 free, 899 points