2017 MARIA LENK TROPHY
- Tuesday, May 2nd – Saturday, May 6th
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Prelims: 9:30 AM Rio time / 8:30 AM EST (Saturday at 10:30 / 9:30 AM)
- Finals: 5:30 PM Rio time / 4:30 PM EST (Fri/Sat 7 / 6 PM)
- Long Course (50m)
- Brazilian Selection Meet for 2017 World Championships
- Psych Sheet
- Meet Central / Results
- Live Results
Day 3 of the Maria Lenk Trophy saw lots of shuffling in Brazil’s top-8 FINA point rankings, though there was only one newcomer in the list.
Marcelo Chierighini had the top prelim time in the men’s 100 free at 48.46, scoring 907 FINA points and moving him into a potential spot on the World Championship roster. In the final, Gabriel Santos reclaimed the top Brazilian time of the season in 48.11, improving from 7th to 2nd on the list with 927 points.
Also improving his ranking during the finals session was Leonardo De Deus, who clocked a personal best 1:54.91 to win the 200 fly and move up from 8th to 5th on the rankings with 913 points.
Once finals were done with Chierighini sat 6th on the rankings. Currently tied for 8th is Guilherme Guido (100 BK) and Brandonn Almeida (400 IM) with 900 points, but Almeida has the opportunity to improve his time with the 400 IM still to come at the Maria Lenk. His 400 IM and Thiago Simon‘s 200 breast are the only two remaining swims in the top-8 done at the Brazil Open in November.
- Felipe Lima, 100 Breaststroke, 59.32, 930 points
- Gabriel Santos, 100 Freestyle, 48.11, 927 points
- Joao Gomes Junior, 100 Breaststroke, 59.41, 926 points
- Thiago Simon, 200 Breaststroke, 2:10.78, 915 points
- Leonardo De Deus, 200 Butterfly, 1:54.91, 913 points
- Marcelo Chierighini, 100 Freestyle, 48.46, 907 points
- Henrique Martins, 100 Butterfly, 51.57, 901 points
- Guilherme Guido, 100 Backstroke, 53.78, 900 points*
- Brandonn Almeida, 400 IM, 4:12.49, 900 points*
The same system is in place for the Junior World Championships, where the top-8 swimmers based on FINA points are automatically named to the team.
Day 3 saw Lucas Peixoto moved into the #3 position with a 50.02 100 free that scored 825 points. Breno Correia and Matheus Gonche also improved their times in the 100 free and 200 fly. Check out the list below:
- Caio Pumputis, 200 Breaststroke, 2:13.95, 852 points
- Rafaela Raurich, 200 Freestyle, 1:59.68, 841 points
- Lucas Peixoto, 100 Freestyle, 50.02, 825 points
- Fernanda Goeiji, 100 Backstroke, 1:02.04, 822 points
- Breno Correia, 100 Freestyle, 50.15, 818 points
- Matheus Gonche, 200 Butterfly, 1:59.62, 810 points
- Maria Luiza Pessanha, 100 Backstroke, 1:02.73, 795 points
- Joao Paulo Pacheco, 400 Freestyle, 3:59.11, 780 points