The American medal total at the 2014 Sr. Pan Pac Championships last week in Australia may not have been what they’d hoped for, but the Jr. Pan Pacs team is certainly ready to carry the torch in Hawaii this week.
The Americans won golds in 7 of 8 events on Wednesday on the meet’s first day, and 15 of 16 possible medals. The only event that they did not win was the girls’ 200 fly (a known problem area of depth for the Americans overall), and the only event where they didn’t earn the maximum two medals was the girls’ 100 back (where three of the best American juniors went to the Youth Olympics instead).
Aside from that, the Americans could almost do no wrong.
In the 200 fly, Japan’s Haruna Ito, in a Meet Record time of 2:09.02, won the other gold on the first day.
By comparison, Team USA had only four golds after the first day of the 2012 edition of this meet, where the Japan team was much more competitive.
The full medal table is below.
See here for a full day 1 recap.
Full live meet results here.
W. 200 free
- Katie Drabot, USA, 1:58.73
- Shayna Jack, Australia, 1:59.48
- Courtney Harnish, USA, 2:00.46
M. 200 free
- Townley Haas, USA, 1:48.32 (Meet Record)
- Blake Pieroni, USA, 1:48.85
- Katsumi Matsumoto, Japan, 1:49.90
W. 100 back
- Amy Bilquist, USA, 1:01.00
- Danielle Hanus, Canada, 1:01.50
- Rio Shirai, Japan, 1:01.82
M. 100 back
- Connor Green, USA, 55.08
- Michael Andrew, USA, 55.81
- Mark Thormeyer, Canada, 56.07
W. 200 fly
- Haruno Ito, Japan, 2:09.02 (Meet Record)
- Cassidy Bayer, USA, 2:09.08 (also under old Meet Record)
- Hannah Kukurugya, USA, 2:09.68
M. 200 fly
- Andrew Seliskar, USA, 1:55.92 (Meet Record)
- Yuya Yajima, Japan, 1:58.30
- Corey Okubo, USA, 1:59.23
W. 800 free
- Sierra Schmidt, USA, 8:34.71
- Sacha Downing, Australia, 8:37.04
- Courtney Harnish, USA, 8:40.67
M. 1500 free
- Liam Egan, USA, 15:15.53
- Jon McKay, Canada, 15:21.82
- Sean Grieshop, USA, 15:29.87