2016 ARENA PRO SWIM SERIES – CHARLOTTE
- Thursday May 12th-Sunday May 15th, 2016
- Mecklenburg Aquatic Center – Charlotte, North Carolina
- Thursday May 12th – Timed Finals – 4:00 pm EDT
- Friday-Sunday – Prelims – 9:00 am EDT Finals – 6 pm EDT
- Psych Sheets
- Live Results
Besides entire meet scratches Elizabeth Beisel (who is swimming in Atlanta this weekend), Claire Donahue, Laura Sogar and Grigory Tarasevich, the big scratch news of this morning is that top seeds Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace and Micah Lawrence both will be sitting out their top events. Vanderpool-Wallace is favoring the 50 fly instead. Meanwhile, Canadian age group wonder Taylor Ruck is shifting her focus from backstroke to free, which makes sense given her slot as a member of the Canadian Olympic 800 free relay in Rio.
- Women’s 20om butterfly- South Florida’s Claire Donahue scratched the entire meet this weekend in favor of a meet in Bermuda next weekend for her pre-Trials preparation. The two-time Olympian Elizabeth Beisel of Bluefish dropped this meet to swim the Atlanta Classic, where she is entered in three events this morning. 24th seed North Carolina junior Hellen Moffitt scratched this event in favor of the 50 fly and 100 back.
- Men’s 200m butterfly- The Bluefish 16-year-old 8th seed Max Miranda pulled out of the men’s 200 fly, as did Ohio State duo Gregory Nymberg and Henrique Painhas. Michigan’s Javier Barrena, the 23rd seed, is also out of the competition for the morning.
- Women’s 50m freestyle- Top seed two-time Olympian Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace of the Bahamas and SwimMAC is sitting this event out in favor of the 50 fly, where she is ranked fifth, this morning. Another Ohio State swimmer, Zhesi Li also is out.
- Men’s 50m freestyle- Club Wolverine’s 2004 Olympic bronze medalist in the 200 IM George Bovell of Trinidad and Tobago has scratched from his seventh seed. Badger Swim Club’s Derek Toomey scratched the event as well, along with SwimMAC’s Eric Knight. Ohio State’s Matt McHugh and unattached swimmer CJ Fiala formerly of Virginia Tech also scratched.
- Women’s 100m backstroke- Canada’s age group wonder Taylor Ruck, who has made the Canadian Olympic team as an alternate on the 800 free relay, is scratching the 100 back this morning in favor of the 50 free and 400 free, presumably to focus on her freestyle leading into Rio. South Florida’s Megan Romano, formerly of the University of Georgia, has dropped this entire meet. Isabella Arcila of SMU is favoring the 50 free this morning.
- Men’s 100m backstroke- Louisville’s Grigory Tarasevich, who has already notched his place on the Russian Olympic team in this event, seems to be sitting this meet out after scratching the 50 back as the second seed yesterday and the 100 back as the first seed today. Regina Optimist’s Noah Choboter scratched the event as well. Egypt’s Mohamed Elsayed is dropping the 100 back in favor of the 50 free.
- Women’s 200m breaststroke- Top seed Micah Lawrence of SwimMAC scratched the event this morning, while Bluefish pro Laura Sogar was entered in this event as well before deciding to take her swims to Atlanta. Her Bluefish teammate and two-time Olympian Elizabeth Beisel is with her in Atlanta, so she won’t have the chance to take on the talent-packed 200 breast field. 14th seed Ohio State swimmer Taylor Vargo was also on the psych sheets but won’t be swimming this morning. Long Island Aquatic Club’s youngest female under 59 in the 100 distance Margaret Aroesty scratched her events yesterday as well, so it’s no surprise that she’s not swimming today. Another Michigan swimmer Jamie Zhen Yeung is out as well.
- Men’s 200m breaststroke- Ohio State’s third seed DJ Macdonald is out, along with unattached 19-year-old Phillip Willett.
- Women’s 50m butterfly- As mentioned, South Florida’s Claire Donahue is a scratch for the entire meet, so we won’t get to see the three-way show-down among her, Dana Vollmer, and Kelsi Worrell in this event. SMU’s Marne Erasmus has also scratched the non-Olympic event.
- Men’s 50m butterfly- Clovis Swim Club’s 7th seed Carl Weigley scratched the 50 fly, along with 8th seed Henrique Painhas of Ohio State. Valle Elite’s Carlos Viveros is out as well, along with Ohio State’s Gergory Nymberg.
- Women’s 400m free- As stated, Elizabeth Beisel scratched the entire meet, along with Ohio State’s Sam Cheverton and Badger Swim Club’s 18-year-old Cal commit Anina Lund.
- Men’s 400m free- Bluefish 16-year-old Max Miranda is out of the men’s 400 free, freeing up the 17th seed.