Courtesy of Swim Across America. Many thanks to Open Water Swimming Ambassador and founder of Openwaterpedia, Steve Munatones, for bringing this information to my attention.
Michael Phelps Swimming and Swim Across America partner on BREAKOWT Open Water Training.
BREAKOWT is an intensive, 3-hour instructional session for pool swimmers who want to take on the challenge of open water swims, including those organized by Swim Across America. The session is taught in the pool by top trainers from Michael Phelps Swimming. The MPS program is dedicated to excellence in the sport of swimming by training people all over the country in the method of instruction that Michael Phelps himself blossomed under.
The course will include training in sighting, stroke mechanics, breathing techniques, shifting currents and other open water dynamics. It will prepare you for an open water swim, and give you the confidence you need to nail it.
The session will use the details of a premier Swim Across America open water event (the course, water conditions, etc.) in order to prepare you for your local SAA swim, or any open water event.
In 2013, BREAKOWT will be launched in two cities: Baltimore & Seattle. There is limited space (25 people per session) and high demand. Each session has a cap that cannot be exceeded.
BALTIMORE SWIM SESSION
- Saturday (9/7): 9a – 12p (Meadowbrook Pool)
- Saturday (9/7): 1p – 4p (Meadowbrook Pool)
- Sunday (9/8) :9a – 12p (Meadowbrook Pool)
- Sunday (9/8): 1p – 4p (Meadowbrook Pool)
SEATTLE SWIM SESSION
- Saturday (8/17): 8am – 11am (Mercerwood Shore Club – 4150 E Mercer Way Mercer Island, WA)
- Sunday (8/18): 8am – 11am (Samena Swim & Tennis Club – 15231 Lake Hills Blvd. Bellevue, WA)
Developed in coordination with Swim Across America organizers, the training sessions will cover:
- Breathing and breath control in dynamic water
- Basic principles and techniques to increase stroke
- Handling open water emergencies such as cramping,
- Dealing with the anxiety of swimming in crowded
- Sighting, current shifts, temperature, and other
aspects of open water swimming
- Plus, procedures and instructions for your local Swim Across America Open Water Event.
- Introductions and brief swimming history of each participant
- An over-view of the specific event logistics and course
- Anxieties and emergencies with open water
- Open water swimming strategies (sighting, breathing)
- Over-view of the 4 B’s of swimming
- Stroke analysis of each participant
- Maximizing your stroke for your body type
- Training strategies to get you to race day
- Questions and answers
$50 to register
$30 if you are currently registered for an SAA event
*The registration fees are directed towards MPS
Michael Phelps Swimming is a program dedicated to progressing the sport of swimming by conducting professionally run education and training programs around the country.
Swim Across America is a nonprofit that organizes local pool and open water swim events to raise money for cancer prevention, treatment or research in those communities.
The information above was provided to swimswam by Swim Across America.