The HardCore Swimmer of the Week has to be Sarah Sjostrom. Sarah Sjostrom blew away the fastest time in the world this year, breaking the FINA World record in the women’s 50 meter butterfly with her time of 24.43. Sjostrom is now only .08 seconds off the FINA men’s “B” time standard for the 2015 World Championships. Take a look at the TYR World Rankings below: Her time is almost a second faster than the Jeanetter Ottesen Gray’s previous world leading time.
In the video above, you can see the footage from her race. It is interesting to note that she completed the race without taking a breath. Her swim looked more similar to the male 50 butterfliers. There was not much up & down action in her stroke, her pull was relatively shallow, and her stroke rate was through the roof!
Let’s take a look at a few interesting stats we can compare this swim to:
- She is the first woman to break 25 seconds in the 50 meter butterfly.
- She broke the World Record by .64 seconds.
- She missed the SCM 50 butterfly world record by .05 seconds.
- If this were her 50 freestyle time, it would be the sixth fastest in the world this year.
- In 2012, Jessica Hardy won the 50 freestyle US Olympic Team Trials with a 24.50. Sjostrom would have qualified for the US Olympic team swimming butterfly.
- In fact, her 50 butterfly time would have qualified for every US Olympic or World Championship Team in the 50 freestyle in USA Swimming history.
Founded on the pool decks of Southern California, HARDCORESWIM examines and explores the ethos of the hardcore swimmer. HARDCORESWIM is an authentic and innovative designer, marketer and manufacturer of premium quality men’s and women’s swimsuits, Custom Team Swim Suits, training gear, clothing, accessories and related products. Our true, authentic, innovative, iconoclastic, and creative style differentiates us from the bland competitive swim industry and gives us reason to be. All made in the USA. Check us out at www.hardcoreswim.com or find us at www.facebook.com/hardcoreswim .